1. The Club shall be called “The Grappenhall & District Ex-Serviceman’s League”, it shall be non-political and non-sectarian and its objectives shall be to promote the social and recreational interests of Ex-Servicepersons and the residents of Grappenhall and District.
2. (a) Providing application for Membership is open, any person not under 18 years shall be eligible for election to membership on making an application in the prescribed form together with payment of an Application Fee inclusive of first year’s sub as may be fixed by the League in General Meeting. A copy of these rules will be posted on the Club’s Main Notice Board and will be available to members on request to the Secretary
The application shall be exhibited on the Notice Board for at least 7 days before consideration by the Executive Committee and may be accepted or rejected without reason stated. If rejected, the inclusive Application Fee shall be refunded.
(b) Serving Members of H.M. Forces shall be admitted as Honorary Members in accordance with the rules of the club during any period of residence in the district.
(c) Members shall pay an Annual Subscription as fixed, on payment, shall receive a Membership Card. This subscription shall be due on 1st January in each year and it unpaid by the last day of February, the Executive Committee shall have power to suspend or exclude from membership any Member in default. Members elected after 1st January shall pay for the first year such Subscription as the Committee direct. Non-payment of the Annual membership subscription by the end of April will result in the loss of continuity of Membership.
Applicable from the 1st January 2016:
Applicants for Membership may be as a single member or, for spouses /partners joint members applying the following:
(i) Joint Membership fees will be 150% of Single Members
(ii)) Both Joint Members will enjoy full Membership rights and in the event that Joint Members require conversion to single membership will have all years of prior club membership acknowledged.
(iii) Transfers between membership’s categories must be requested via the Membership Secretary.
(e) All Fees or Subscriptions referred to above shall include the amount of Value Added Tax for the time being in force.
3. Any Member with twenty-five years consecutive membership will be awarded Honorary Life Membership without loss of any of the privileges of ordinary membership.
(a) Any person seeking nomination to the Executive Committee must have had Membership of the Club for at least three years.
Applicable from 1st January 2018
All life members will need to renew their membership on a yearly basis. After two years of non-renewal, the life member will be removed from the membership database.
4. An Annual General Meeting of the League shall) be held before March 31st in each year for the purpose of:
(a) Receiving reports of the Executive Committee or the preceding year.
(b) Receiving the Accounts of the League for the ear to the preceding 30th November.
(c) Electing a Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and a Committee of not more than eight to form the Executive Committee for the ensuing year.
(d) Considering any further business proper to a General Meeting.
(e) At any General Meeting, 50 Members shall constitute a quorum.
5. The Election of Officers and Committee shall be by Ballot. A Nomination sheet shall be posted on the Notice Board six weeks before the date of the Annual General Meeting and remain open for two weeks All Candidates and their Proposers and Seconders must be paid up (or Honorary Life) Members A notice summoning the Annual General Meeting and of an intended Ballot for Officers or Committee Members, shall be posted on the Club Notice Board not later than 14 days before the date of such meeting. Copies of the Accounts and the Ballot Papers shall be available at the Club Premises for all Members on verification of their current Membership by the officer overseeing the Ballot, not less than 14 days before the date of such Annual General Meeting. The Closing Date and Time for the receipt of Ballot Papers shall be as stated thereon.
(a) A sheet shall be displayed on the main notice board listing the result of the Ballot for Officers and Committee Members, including all votes cast for those elected and not elected. This sheet to be displayed not later than 3 days after the A.G.M.
(b) As soon as possible following the A.G.M, a list of all members of the new Committee shall be displayed on the main notice board, detailing the individual responsibilities of the members, sub-committees; etc
(c) There shall be no more than four nor less than two trustees of the League who shall be appointed by the Executive Committee and the property of the League (other than cash,
which shall be under control of the Treasurer) shall be vested in them to be dealt with by them as the Executive Committee shall from time to time direct by resolution (of which an entry in the Minute Book shall be conclusive evidence). The Trustees shall be indemnified against risk and expense out of the Club property. The trustees shall hold office until death or resignation or until removed from office by a resolution of the Executive Committee who may for any reason which may seem sufficient to a majority of them present and voting at any meeting remove any trustee or trustees from the office of trustee. Whereby reason of such death resignation or removal it shall appear necessary to the Executive Committee that a new trustee or trustees shall be appointed or if the Executive Committee shall deem it expedient to appoint an additional trustee or additional trustees the Executive Committee shall by resolution nominate the person or persons to be appointed a new trustee or trustees. For the purpose of giving effect to such nomination the Chairman is hereby nominated as the person to appoint new trustees of the Club within the meaning of Section 36 of the Trustee Act 1925 and he shall by deed duly appoint the person or persons so nominated by the Executive Committee as a new trustee or trustees of the Club and the provisions of the Trustee Act 1925 shall apply to any such appointment. Any statement of fact in any such Deed of Appointment shall in favour of a person dealing bona fide and for value with the Club or the Executive Committee be conclusive evidence of the fact so stated. The trustees shall have the power to sell lease mortgage or pledge any club property for the purpose of raising or borrowing money for the benefit of the Club in compliance with the direction of the Executive Committee.
6. The Executive Committee shall meet as soon as practicable after the Annual General Meeting and at least once per calendar month. The Executive Committee may also nominate any other Sub Committee to manage, maintenance, social or recreational activities ci the League, subject to confirmation by the Full Committee, and the Subcommittees shall have the power to co-opt non-members of the Committee to assist them. Any Committee member missing three consecutive Committee Meetings without extenuating circumstances shall automatically cease to be a member of the Committee. The attendance of Executive Committee members will be formally reviewed after 6 months and 12 months of the Executive Committee’s year of office.
7. The Executive Committee shall have power at any time and from time to time to fill any casual vacancy among the Officers and Committee. A quorum at all meetings of the Executive Committee shall be any number greater than 50% of those entitled to attend and vote 50% of those entitled to attend and vote.
8 The Executive Committee is empowered to make, repeal and amend any regulations for the conduct of the Club’s affairs (not being inconsistent with these Rules) and any such regulations shall have effect as though part of these Rules unless and until altered by the Committee or set aside by a resolution of a General Meeting. On petition of 50 Members, the Executive Committee shall summon -n Extraordinary General Meeting to be held not more than 21 days after receipt of the petition to consider the subject(s) raised therein. The Executive Committee itself shall have the power to summon an Extraordinary General Meeting at any time on giving not less than 14 days notice to Members.
9. In accordance with the Club’s Licenses (from November 2006) the permitted hours for the supply of alcohol are 10.00 a.m. to 12 midnight and 10.00 a.m. on New Year’s Eve to 2.30 a.m. on New Years Day.
10. The Executive Committee shall have the power to determine and vary the standard opening hours, which will be contained in a notice posted on the Club’s main notice board. Any ad-hoc requests for bar service outside the standard opening hours will be determined by the Committee of an Officer of the Club.
11. A Widow of a deceased Member properly introduced by a Member having been previously registered as a Family Member by her late Husband before 1st January 2016 shall continue to be registered as a Family Member.
12. An Ordinary or Honorary Life Member may introduce Visitor(s) to the League and be charged whatever fee deems necessary and shall be responsible for entering their name(s) and addresses in the Visitors Book provided. The number of visitors that may be so introduced by an Ordinary or Honorary Life Member on any one occasion shall not exceed two. Visitor(s) resident within ten miles of the League shall not be admitted more than three times in any calendar year unless as members of a visiting Sports team. Visitors must be signed into the club thirty minutes before the legal maximum for supplying intoxicants,
13 Members and Associates of visiting Sports Teams shall be permitted to purchase intoxicants for consumption on the premises, on the occasion that such teams visiting the Club for the partaking in competitive sports.
14. Intoxicating Liquor may be sold on the League premises to persons who are not Members or their Visitors for consumption by such persons on the League premises provided that:
(a) Such sales take place only at and to persons admitted to organised dances and other functions for which the League premises (or the part of them to be used) have been booked, via the Club Steward or Deputy Steward; and
(b) All the proceeds from such sales are paid into the League’s bank account and form part of the general revenue of the League; and
(d) Such sales are at all times carried on in such manner in such circumstances as are consistent with the aims and objects of the League as expressed in these Rules and in compliance with, any condition imposed by the Licensing Authority; and
(e) Nothing in this Rule shall permit or authorise the League or its premises to be conducted or managed at any time in any manner other than in good faith as a Club.
15. The conduct of all members and visitors on the League premises must conform to the ordinary rule of propriety in the case of any infringement of this Rule the Steward or Stewardess or any Officer of the League may order the offender to leave the premises.
Any such occurrence must be reported as soon as possible to the Executive Committee or the Finance and House Sub-committee; any allegations and denials or explanations shall be thoroughly examined and such action taken as in the opinion of the Executive Committee shall best serve the interests of the League.
16. Complaints, recommendations and any other business which a Member may wish the Executive Committee to consider must first be submitted in writing to the Secretary.
17. No alteration or addition to these rules shall be made except by a resolution carried by a majority of a least two thirds 2/3 of the members present at a General Meeting, the Notice of which shall have contained particulars of this proposed alteration or addition and shall not take effect until notice of such change has been given by the Secretary to the Chief Officer of Police, the Clerk to the Justices and to the Clerk of the Local Authority, such notice to be given within 28 days.
18. Intoxicating Liquor shall not knowingly be supplied to a person under 18 years of age and a person under 18 years shall not knowingly purchase intoxicating liquor.
19. The purchase for the club, and the supply by the club, of intoxicating liquor (so far as not managed by the club in general meeting or otherwise by the general body of members) is managed by an elective committee, as defined in the Seventh Schedule of the Licensing Act, 1964.
20. No arrangements are, or are intended to be made;
(a) for any person to receive at the expense of the club any commission, percentage or similar payment on or with reference to purchases of intoxicating liquor by the club; or
(b) for any person directly or indirectly to derive any pecuniary benefit from the supply of intoxicating liquor by or on behalf of the club to members or guests; apart from any benefit
accruing to the club as a whole and apart also from any benefit which a person derives indirectly by reason of the supply giving rise or contributing to a general gain from the carrying on of the club.
21. As soon as the Steward has completed his bar duties and leaving the Club, the premises must be vacated by Members and Guests, and the doors locked.
22. No intoxicating liquor will be allowed to be consumed on the club premises other than that purchased from the club premises. Any person in breach of this rule may have their membership terminated.
23. No animals (guide dogs accepted) are allowed into the club premises.
24. Members Conduct, Complaints and Disciplinary Policy (Introduced at AGM 29/03/19) – This policy will be implemented from April 2019 and the scope will explain how the Executive Committee deal with complaints and unacceptable behavior of members and visitors to the club. This policy can be reviewed and updated at any time throughout the year without AGM approval but will be subject to the Executive Committee agreement. The current Complaints and Disciplinary policy will be displayed on the notice board.Revised Club Rules approved at the AGM 29/03/19