Grappenall Ex Servicemens Club
The Grappenhall Ex-Servicemens Club [GESM] club was established in 1921 and has been a vital social hub for the community of Grappenhall and surrounding areas.
Over the years, the club has expanded and now offers a range of facilities and activities seven days a week throughout the seasons.
The club is led and managed by an elected committee on behalf of the members of the GESM. The Club is very lucky to have a dedicated group of staff drawn from the local community and led by a well-known and respected Steward, Paul Furby MBE.
Although the club is a private members club, we always welcome visitors and hope you will become part of the GESM family.
We have two sports rooms offering three (match) snooker tables, a pool table & three dartboards and a variety of socially interactive sports sections at Grappenahall Ex Servicemen's club. Additionally, a large Crown Green Bowling Green presents to the front of the property.
- Darts: We have two teams, meeting for Monday night league matches.
- Snooker: We have 3 teams, with matches played alternate Wednesdays & each Thursday
- Bowls: 2 Ladies teams, Monday & Friday teams, Pensioners teams, Thursday afternoon rollups and Sunday evening mixed pairs. https://www.wncba.co.uk/
Our weekly activities and events include;
- Saturday: The ever-popular Saturday night social: free tabletop quiz, prize bingo, open the box & spot giveaways from 9.30pm
- Monday: Darts league matches 8.30pm start
- Tuesday: Join us for the multimedia quiz extravaganza (all teams win a prize) from 9.30pm
- Wednesday: Line dance in the function room with Russ; snooker "c" team home matches
- Thursday: A/B team snooker league matches
- Friday: Friday night raffle & meat draw
- Slimming world group meetings Mon, Tues AM & PM and Wed AM in the function room
GESM have been proud to support the activities of the local community in providing access to the club facilities for Charity raising purposes to donations for specific fundraising requests.
- Walton Lee Partnership – Fundraising support.
- 25th Warrington East Scout Group – Fundraising support and donations towards Switzerland 2016 and Austria 2019 camps.
- Grappenhall Sports Junior Football team – Proud kit sponsor from 2017.
- Warrington Wolves Foundation Events – Club support offered for a variety of testimonial events for Warrington Wolves players and ex-players.
- Club Family Christmas Party – GESM (free to members) family event to celebrate Christmas.
GESM welcomes any requests for local support and charity raising opportunities. All requests should be addressed to the Club Secretary
The committee is an elected group of club members who operate the GESM on behalf of the club members.
The current committee consists of 12 members, including;
Jeremy Parker - Chairman
Mark Entwistle (23 years membership) - Secretary
Mark is a Business graduate, qualified teacher and senior teacher in a large secondary school. He brings a wide range of experience to the role of Club Secretary, including Business, Financial and Human Resource Management.
Mark is responsible for the administration of the club and also leads on disciplinary issues relating to the conduct of club members. Minutes of club meetings are recorded and available behind the bar for club members to view.
John Wood (13 years membership) - Treasurer
John is a Business graduate and owns his own finance company. He brings extensive up-to-date experience to the role of Treasurer, including Business and Financial management and Best Value for Money practices.
John is responsible for the financial management of the club, including seeking Best Value for Money and also leads on disciplinary issues relating to the conduct of club members.
Life President (Ex-Officer)
The term of the Committee runs from the 1st April until 31st March Annually.
Elections are held on a yearly basis (February) for membership of the committee or to be elected to one of the Officer roles of the club. To be eligible to stand, club members, need to have held continuous membership for three years or more.
Become a member
Applications to join to be a member of the GESM club are welcome at any time throughout the year. GESM membership runs from the 1st January until the 31st December and is subject to the appropriate fee at that time.
Memberships are renewable on a yearly basis and application process will follow the guidance issued in January of each year. On the completion of 25 years of continuous memberships, the award of a Lifetime membership will be issued. We currently have over 1000 members of which a third are life members.
All applications to be a member are subject to Committee approval and the Member Code of Conduct which explains the expectations of all members of the GESM club.
Value of being a GESM member?
Membership allows unlimited access to the club, social events and discounted members prices behind the bar. Sports team representatives are expected to have a current paid membership or lifetime award to participate in sports clubs.
Current Fees :
- Single annual membership £10.00
- Joint annual membership £15.00
- Life membership is awarded after 25 consecutive years.
Current Job Vacancies
- Hours negotiable
- Wages negotiable based on experience & qualifications.
- Experience of Real Ales an advantage.
- Copy of Job Role available on request.
- £8.36 - £8.91 p/h
- Experience an advantage but not essential.
- Variety of hours available.